Skip Navigation  | Go To Navigation

Snowdonia's Little Trains

The little trains of Snowdonia

North Wales is famous for its 'little railways', most of which came into being as a means of carrying slate from the quarries to the ports. When the quarries closed enterprising folk realised the potential of the railways as a tourist venture. Then there's the Snowdon Mountain Railway - the highest train line in Britain, climbing 3560 feet. So, whether you're a train enthusiast or just want an easy way to climb Snowdon, take a look below.


Snowdon Mountain Railway

Snowdon Mountain Railway The Snowdon Mountain Railway was opened in 1896 and is the highest railway in the British Isles. Trains run from a small station in Llanberis to the Summit Station, a journey of around an hour each way. Trains wait at the summit for half an hour before returning to Llanberis. If you're feeling fit you can purchase a one way ticket and then walk back down to Llanberis, the walk takes around 2 hours. If you intend to do this you should ensure that you are properly equipped for the walk.

The Summit Hotel has a cafe, licensed bar, souvenir shop and toilets. Although it's called a hotel, you can't actually stay overnight - the name has remained from the huts, which did offer overnight accommodation, that perched on the summit until 1936, when the current building was constructed (designed by Portmerion's Clough Williams Ellis). During World War II the hotel was occupied by the Air Ministry who carried out experimental radar and radio work between 1942 and 1945.

The hotel is only open when the train is running to the summit, so don't rely on Snowdon Mountain Railway summit signit. In winter and early spring the train doesn't run at all. In bad weather conditions, for example severe wind or if the track has snow or ice on it, the train may only go as far as Clogwyn (about 3/4 of the way) or Rocky Valley (around 1/2 the way) - fares are adjusted accordingly (there are no facilities at either Clogwyn or Rocky Valley stations).

HISTORY

For over 150 years slate had been the major industry in Llanberis and the town had grown up around the Dinorwic Quarry. By the late 19th century though the slate industry was in decline and tourism was becoming increasingly important to the areas economy. In 1894 the Snowdon Mountain Tramroad and Hotels company was founded, and construction of a single track rack & pinion railway, from Llanberis to the summit of Snowdon, started. The track laying involved 150 men (many of whom where quarrymen on strike from the nearby Penrhyn Quarry) and took 72 days. A 5 day week was worked with the men sleeping where they finished work that day. The masons were paid 8½d per day and the labourers 5d per day, together with a height bonus of 2d and 1½d respectively (a 'd' was a pre-decimal British penny).

Old postcard of the Snowdon Mountain RailwayThe railway was officially opened on 6 April 1896 by W A Assheton Smith, who owned both the mountain and the Dinorwic Quarry. At the opening there were to be two trains running to the summit, the second, No. 1 LADAS (Laura Alice Duff Asherton Smith) had two coaches. On its descent, just above the Clogwyn station, LADAS's engine left the track and plunged into the ravine - luckily the crew had already jumped to safety. As the coaches aren't coupled to the engine there was no danger to the passengers and the coaches stayed on the track. The line was closed for a year while the cause of the accident was investigated and modification made. It was found that frost had caused subsidence, which had led to the accident. Girders were placed on each side of the track to strengthen it and grippers fitted to each train, these connected with the girders, ensuring that the train stayed on the track. The railway reopened a year later and has operated safely ever since.

In January 1904 Harvey de Cros and Charles Sangster drove a 15hp Ariel car from Birmingham to Llanberis with the intention of driving up Snowdon. The owners of the mountain railway gave them permission to use the track in their attempt. There had been heavy snow falls but by the end of the first day they had reached Halfway. On day two however they had to turn back when their path was blocked by a huge snow drift at Clogwyn. Undeterred the pair tried again in May that year and this time succeeded in reaching the summit.

TECHNICAL

The Snowdon Mountain Railway is the highest railway in Britain. There are 9 trains - 5 steam (4 of which are the originals) and 4 diesel - all using a rack and pinion design. The engine sits at the rear on the upward journey, pushing the carriages and at the front, acting as a brake, on the downward journey with the fire down, the steam shut off and the gears in forward.
The maximum speed allowed is 5mph, if this is exceeded the automatic braking system is applied, this works independently on the engine and the coach. In addition, carriages have their own separate braking system. The carriages are enclosed and carry 59 passengers.
Snowdon Mountain Railway tracksThe line is a double bladed rack and pinion single track with a gauge of 800mm, designed and patented by Dr. Roman Abt of Lucerne, Switzerland in 1882. There are passing places at Hebron, Halfway & Clogwyn. The track runs on the north western slope of Snowdon up to the Summit Station, which is actually just below the summit. There are no level sections of track on the entire journey - the average gradient is 1:7.8 (12.85%), the steepest is 1:5.5 (18%). By the time the train arrives at the summit it has climbed 3140 feet in a distance of just over four and half miles.

Follow this link to the official web site and also Locomotive Llanberis web site has some nice pictures of the trains.


RHEILFFORD FFESTINIOG RAILWAY

Ffestiniog Railway logo

The Ffestiniog Railway runs from Porthmadog to Bleanau Ffestiniog. It climbs through tranquil pastures and forests, past lakes and waterfalls, clings to the mountainside and passes through tunnels. On the journey there are magnificent views of the Snowdonia National Park.

Established over 170 years ago, the Ffestiniog Railway is the oldest independent railway company in the world. In 1830 Samuel Holland, a quarry owner from Rhiw, and Henry Archer, a businessman, had the idea for a narrow gauge railway to carry slate to the new harbour at Porthmadog. In 1832 an Act of Parliament permitting the building of the railway was passed. The route was designed so that the loaded trains would run down to Porthmadog using gravity and the empty trucks could then be pulled back up by pony.

During the 1840s and 1850s the amount of slate being carried increased steadily and the then owner, Charles Spooner, looked into the possibility of using steam engines. In 1862 he invited tenders and, in 1863, George England & Co. of London were contracted to build four small engines. Princess and Mountaineer entered service later that year and were followed the next year by Prince and Palmerston. Also in 1864 the Board Of Trade gave permission for the company to carry passengers - they were the first narrow gauge railway to receive such permission. Two more engines, Welsh Pony and Little Giant were built in 1867. Usage of the single track was increasing and in 1869 an Act was passed allowing the track to be doubled. This would however have been too expensive and so the company commissioned Robert Fairlie to design an engine that could pull larger, heavier loads on the existing track. This was a difficult task due to the narrow gauge and steeps bends, but in 1870 Little Wonder, the first Fairlie Double Engine (the forefather of most of today's locomotive engines), was built.

By the 1920s the company was relying heavily on tourism. Slate was mainly being transported across country by Great Western Railway's standard gauge trains, which had commenced running to Bleanau Ffestiniog in 1872. The outbreak of World War II meant that passenger service were cancelled and when the war ended the trains and track were in some disrepair. By now though slate was being carried by road and there was no money for repairs - the line closed. The rolling stock was left were it was, to be attacked by the weather and vandals.

However, in 1951 a group met to discuss the future of the railway and soon a small team of volunteers set about restoring the track and stock. Their efforts looked to be in vain when, in 1954, British Electric came up with a scheme to build a pumped water storage installation near Tanygrisiau - the reservoir they required would flood part of the track to Bleanau Ffestiniog. The railway company objected, but a compulsory purchase order for the land was issued. The volunteers were undeterred and passenger services started from Porthmadog to Boston Lodge in 1955, the line to Minffordd was completed in 1956 and had reached Penrhyn by 1957. By 1958 trains were running to Tan-y-Bwlch. The railway was soon opened as far as Ddaullt, the last station before the reservoir.

In 1962 a detour route was planned along the east side of the reservoir to join up with the remainder of the original track at Tanygrisiau. It was intended that the track would run along the crest of the dam. In 1964 the company announced its intention to build the detour - they had little money to spare for the project, no equipment, a volunteer labour force and they were intending to build on land they didn't own. Luck was on their side though and in January 1965 the land was given to the company by the Economic Forestry Group and work began. During this time the rest of the line was getting busier and the rolling stock was overhauled, new carriages were built and the track was relaid. In 1970 a route to the west of the Tanygrisiau reservoir was agreed. Also that year compensation for the loss of business and disruption caused by the compulsory purchase of the land in 1954 was finally granted, an amount of £106,000.

The Moelwyn tunnel was completed in 1977 and trains began running to Llyn Ystradaw. Bridges needed to be built over the four huge water pipes that ran to the power station in order for the new detour to join the original track at Tanygrisiau. In 1978 the detoured track linking Dduallt and Tanygrisiau was opened. There was now only one mile of track left to Bleanau Ffestiniog - but there were problems with rock falls and an unstable rock face to be sorted before this could be completed.

During this time, it was agreed that a new station should be built in Bleanau Ffestiniog to be used by both British Rail and the Ffestiniog Railway. Gwynedd County Council started work on re-routing roads in 1977 to enable both tracks to run to the site of the new station. In 1980 'Project Bleanau' was launched to co-ordinate the work of the volunteers laying the track and by May 1981 the last mile of track had been relaid. In May 1982, the 150th anniversary of the original Act Of Parliament, the track was opened. This was followed by the new station opening in April 1983.

Today the steam engines carry passengers the 13 miles from Porthmadog to Bleanau Ffestiniog throughout the year. Take a look at the official web site for timetables, fares, details of special events and your chance to drive one of the engines.


Rheilffordd Eryri / Welsh Highland Railway

Tel: 01766 513403 or visit the web site

The Welsh Highland Railway (WHR) was originally a number of smaller railway companies that have been linked together over time. Below is a short history of these companies.

In 1864 the Croesor & Port Madog Railway (CPMR) was opened to serve the quarries above Croesor and take the slate to the harbour at Porthmadog. Part of this track formed the southern end of the WHR.

The Portmadog, Croesor & Beddgelert Tram Railway Company (PCBTRC) took over the CPMR in 1879 with the intention of extending the line to Beddgelert. This work was never accomplished and the company went into receivership in 1882.

North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways (NWNGR) was formed in 1872. Their idea was to build narrow gauge railways throughout Snowdonia. They only built one line, from Dinas to Rhyd Ddu and a branch running to the quarries above Bryngwyn. The Bryngwyn line closed to passengers in 1913 and the Rhyd Ddu in 1916. Goods were still carried until 1922 when the line finally closed. This track formed the northern end of the WHR.

The Porthmadog, Beddgelert & South Snowdonia Railway (PBSSR) was formed with the intention of connecting the south end of the NWNGR to Beddgelert and Porthmadog. They took over the line of the former PCBTRC and built a line through the Aberglaslyn Pass. The intended route was never completed though and the company closed in 1913

The Welsh Highland Railway acquired the NWNGR & PBSSR in 1922. They reopened the northern end of the NWNGR line and completed the line to Porthmadog in 1923. The WHR and Ffestiniog Railways now connected at Porthmadog. However WHR was never really commercially viable at that time and the receivers were first called in in 1927. The line continued to operate until 1933 when it was closed. An official winding up order was issued in 1944 but by then most of the track had already been lifted.

In 1961 the Welsh Highland Railway Society was formed with the idea to reopen the railway they started negotiations with the liquidator. The society became the Welsh Highland Light Railway Company Ltd. In 1973 they purchased a standard gauge site at Beddgelert Siding near Porthmadog and the neighbouring Gelert Farm. They have run a public railway here since 1980. In 1996 the name was changed to the Welsh Highland Railway Ltd.

Currently the WHR runs from Dinas (near Caernarfon) to Waunfawr. Building is currently underway to extend the track to Rhyd Ddu, this should be completed by 2002.


LLANBERIS LAKE RAILWAY

Llanberis Lake Train

The above picture is from the Locomotive Llanberis web site, follow the link for more pictures and information about the Llanberis Lake Railway.

HISTORY

In 1824 the owners of the Dinorwic Quarry built a basic railway from Allt Ddu, near Deiniolen, to carry slate to the harbour at Port Dinorwic. In 1841 work started on an improved railway, to run from Llanberis to Port Dinorwic. Steam engines were introduced in 1848, with trains carrying both goods and passengers.

By the 1950 the demand was Welsh slate was falling and the Dinowric Quarry was becoming unviable. The railway was closed in 1961, the track was removed, the locomotives and rolling stock locked up and the route became overgrown. When the quarry closed in 1969 it still had the trains and equipment in its possession. They were purchased from the receivers, with the idea of reopening the railway for tourists. Redundant quarrymen were employed to rebuild and operate the section of track running along Llyn Padarn. In 1971 the line was partially reopened and a year later fully opened.

TODAY

The journey starts at the station at the Padarn Country Park next to the slate museum. The first section of the journey passes through the quarry yard it then goes under a high arch (built in 1900) and you'll get your first view of Llyn Padarn. The track from here is always close to the waters edge with the Allt Wen Woods on your other side. The halfway point of the journey is Cei Llydan station (though the train doesn't stop here on the outward journey). You now head onto Penllyn and the countryside becomes gentler with more rounded hills. On the return journey you will be able to get off the train at Cei Llydan and walk to the headland to view the mountains - if you like you can stay here for a while and catch a later train back. The round trip takes around 40 minutes and covers 4 miles.

The railway has four steam locomotives - Elidr (built in 1889), Wild Aster (1904), Dolbadarn (1922) and Helen Kathryn (1948), the first three of these were used in the Dinorwic quarry and modified for use on this track. A diesel engine called Twll Coed, built in 1952, is used occasionally. The coaches were specially built with much of the work done in the museum workshop.